A woman lost her ears when her skin was pulled from her head “like a tape” after getting entangled in her hair drill.
Anna Meliozak, 25, feared she was about to die when she realized her skin was being forcibly removed from her head while working for a metal parts company.
A court heard the 25-year-old girl was left in agony after being hit on the skull as her ponytail was wrapped around a rotating drill in a horror trial.
The shocking event took place on September 10, 2019 at Co & P, P&D Engineering Limited in Coventry, West Midlands.
And as soon as the machine removed her skin from her skull, she screamed for help – but no one heard her scream.
Mielewczyk had to undergo nine surgeries – which eventually led to his ear being amputated.
She says she feels like a prisoner in her own home – because she will have to deal with her devastating injuries forever.
Now, the firm has been fined 62 62,000 after admitting to violating health and safety guidelines.
Anna said. Daily Star“My life has been ruined by what happened to me, yet my employer can still impose a 62,000 fine. What kind of justice is this?”
“My boss will continue his life, but I will have to deal with the consequences of the accident forever.
“I loved life, I was always active but now I feel like I’m a prisoner in my house because I’m afraid to go out as I do.
“I was working on my own and one of the machines crashed violently and suddenly my head turned.
“My hair must have got stuck in one of the drills as it started pulling my head very hard.
“I grabbed my ponytail in frustration and panic and tried to shake my hair with the drill, but the machine was moving so fast that I couldn’t do anything about it.
“I couldn’t reach the handle to close it and I could hear the horrible sound of my skin exploding from my head, like a tape being pulled from the skin. It’s a sound I will never forget.
“I was screaming for help but there was a lot of noise from the machines and at that moment I thought I was going to die.
“I thought I would never see my partner and family again and lost consciousness.”
After an investigation, health and safety officials found that the rotating parts of the drill were not protected according to industry standards.
The company’s own risk assessment for the use of the drill said a guard should be installed – but they had been working without one for years.
Ben Posford, partner and head of a catastrophic injury at a London law firm. Osborne. Law, representing Anna, said: “Anna suffered horrific injuries and is fortunate to have survived this horrific incident because her employer did not have proper health and safety procedures.
“In this case, all employers should be warned to take the right steps to avoid another such incident that could ruin someone else’s life.”
“My client is disturbed to understand that his former employer has been given such a small fine and we will pursue him through the courts so that he gets justice.”