The Minsk agreements have been in place since 2014 in an attempt to keep peace between Russia and Ukraine.
Despite negotiations, Russia invaded Ukraine, abandoning the Minsk agreements.
What are the Minsk agreements?
In 2014, after fighting in Donbass, Ukraine, a ceasefire agreement signed by Russia, Ukraine and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) was introduced.
The agreement outlined a 12-point plan to prevent further hostilities between the two countries.
However, this did not last long, and on February 12, 2015, a new agreement had to be signed.
Minsk-2 included the removal of weapons from the borders and the granting of self-government to the Donbass regions.
A new agreement was signed, but the problems never really ended, leading to the current Russian invasion.
Putin completely ignored the Minsk agreements because Rocket fire on civilians in Ukraine.
What are the 12 points of the Minsk Protocol?
The points of the Minsk agreements are aimed at de-escalation and prevention of war between the two countries.
- Ensure an immediate bilateral ceasefire.
- Ensure that the ceasefire is monitored and verified by the OSCE.
- Decentralize power, including the adoption of a Ukrainian law on temporary self-government for certain areas of the Donetsk and Lugansk regions.
- Ensure constant monitoring of the Ukrainian-Russian border by the OSCE and create security zones.
- Immediate release of all hostages and illegally detained persons.
- Introduce a law prohibiting the persecution and punishment of people in connection with the events in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.
- Continue inclusive national dialogue.
- Take measures to improve the humanitarian situation in Donbas.
- Ensure early local elections in self-governing areas.
- Withdraw from Ukraine illegal armed formations and military equipment, as well as militants and mercenaries.
- Adopt a program to restore the economy of Donbass.
- Ensure the personal safety of participants in consultations.
What happens if the Minsk agreements are violated?
The agreement was violated two weeks after the signing, in violation of the ceasefire on both sides.
An additional agreement was signed, which broke up a year later.
This led to a second agreement in 2015 with similar objectives.
Violation of the agreement means abandoning all diplomatic attempts to prevent war.
The Minsk agreements provided clear diplomatic guidelines for moving the border between Russia and Ukraine, but their complete violation could lead to an escalation of hostilities.
Like Russia launches its attacks on Ukraineother countries will have to decide how to proceed and whether to come to the aid of Ukraine.
President Biden made a statement by attack:
“The prayers of the whole world tonight are with the people of Ukraine, who are suffering from an unprovoked and unjustified attack by the Russian armed forces.
“President Putin has chosen a deliberate war that will bring catastrophic loss of life and suffering.”