Three Ohio brothers have died after being trapped in a manure pit on a cattle farm and inhaling poisonous gas.
The brothers, identified as Gary, Todd and Brad Weubbaker, were all 30 years old when rescue workers found them unconscious on their family farm. WK BNTV Is informed.
Village Fire Chief Matt Lefeld said. CBS Pittsburgh The brothers were repairing a manure pump when they fell into a ditch and came out after breathing in the smoke. The victims were taken to a local hospital where they were pronounced dead.
An initial autopsy of the two brothers revealed that they had died of suffocation.
Fertilizer pits are commonly found on livestock farms where they are used to store waste before being recycled as fertilizer. According to the Ohio State University Extension, the pit produces a number of harmful gases, including hydrogen sulfide, methane, carbon monoxide, and ammonia, which can cause headaches, dizziness, difficulty breathing, and even death. Can become
It is not clear how the brothers fell into the pit and how long they were there.
In June 2020, a 2-year-old Minneapolis boy fortunately survived a fall into a liquid manure pit. The boy, identified as Carter Dwyer, disappeared while his parents were working in the fields and was immediately spotted inside the pit. Fire and rescue personnel arrived at the scene and escorted the child to safety.