The Clydeside Expressway is one of the roads to be closed during the “Extreme Obstacle” while the city hosts a climate change conference.
Glasgow’s Clyde Arc – aka Squinty Bridge – Congress Road, and Minerva Street will also be closed to motorbikes as thousands of delegates arrive at COP26 for UN crisis talks.
The Scottish Exhibition Center (SEC) and its environs – which will come under the jurisdiction of the United Nations – will face obstacles before, during and after the October 31-November 12 event. World Leaders, including Pope Francis, US President Joe Biden and Prime Minister Boris Johnson, are expected to arrive on November 1.
Pedestrians and bicycles will also be affected. Campaigners say the ban is against the conference’s ethics.
The city’s motorway network, already the busiest in the country, is expected to be “congested” with the M8, M77 and M74 at risk of all congestion. The Wrist Side Expressway, which normally sees about 1,000,000 vehicles a day, will be closed between Partick and Anderston between October 23 and November 15.
A. Council The spokesman said: “COP26 will be unlike any other major event hosted by Glasgow, which will bring its own unique challenges to our travel network.
“Because of the scale and complexity of the event, which includes the likes of world leaders and climate activists, we will experience changes in the movement of traffic around the city.
“Residents directly affected by business and planned disruptions will receive specific, direct communications that will inform them of possible implications during specific periods, and business engagement sessions will be publicized and held close to the event. Will. ”
Full list of restrictions and restrictions.
- Congress Road, closed at 6 a.m., October 10, 6 a.m., Nov. 17.
- Congressway, Finston Cove, Tunnel Street, Stubb Cross Road (parallel to A814) and Castle Bank Street, subject to lane restrictions and closures between October 17 and 23, October 24 from 9pm to 6am on November 21. With complete closure.
- Clyde Arc (Squinty Bridge) and Lancefield Cove are closed from 9pm on October 23 to 6am on November 15. Roads will be open to service buses only.
- Finston Street, from Holdsworth Street to Lancefield Cove, remained closed from 9pm on October 24 to 6am on November 15. Local access Southbound will remain in place until October 28.
- The Clydeside Expressway, from Partic Interchange to Anderston (Junction 19), was closed from 9pm on October 23 to 6am on November 15.
- Minerva Street and West Green Hill Place, closed from 6am on October 28, to 6am on November 13, have local access to private car parks.