The deputy head of Sudan’s sovereign council, General Dagalo, tells Al Jazeera that reinstating Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok was part of the discussions leading to the military takeover in October.
The deputy head of Sudan’s governing sovereign council, General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, has said Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok was aware of last month’s military takeover and “fully agreed” to it.
Hamdok was deposed by the army on 25 October. reinstated as interim prime minister after signing a deal on Sunday with Sudan’s top general to restore the transition to civilian rule.
“What happened on October 25 was the end result of a long process. Many discussions were held, and many initiatives were proposed,” Dagallo, also known as Hemati, told Al Jazeera in an exclusive interview released Friday.
“The Prime Minister himself proposed two initiatives during the meetings. We had three options, the best of which we took, and it was completely agreed upon by the prime minister himself,” said Dougallo. “We didn’t take any such step on our own.”
Reporting from Khartoum, Al Jazeera’s Resul Serdar said the claims were a “bold accusation” as many Sudanese were asking whether Hamdok was part of a military takeover or whether they knew it would happen.
“When I asked him, he said he didn’t know a military coup was coming,” Atas said, referring to a recent interview with the prime minister that he was reinstated this week.
“Now the deputy chairman says he actually discussed this with Hamdok and that he knew about the military takeover,” Atas said.
“People were already questioning his independence. After this allegation, people will raise further questions on their legitimacy.
On 25 October, top general Abdel Fattah al-Burhan dissolved the government, arrested the civilian leadership, and declared a state of emergency – drawing widespread international condemnation and triggering widespread coup protests.
Hamdok was placed under house arrest after the army seized power.
On 11 November, al-Burhan issued a decree creating a new 14-member ruling sovereign council, at the head of which was himself.
The coup, more than two years after a popular revolt that forced the ouster of long-time strongman Omar al-Bashir, derailed a transition toward democratic elections and drew international criticism.
A 14-point agreement between Hamdok and the military, signed at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in Khartoum on Sunday, provided for the release of all political prisoners detained during the coup and stipulated that the 2019 Constitutional Declaration was a political transition. will be the basis. Details read on state television.
Following the deal, the reinstated premier told Al Jazeera that he would join A. will constitute “Technical Government” Composed of qualified professionals to lead the country in elections by June 2023.
The deal was widely welcomed by the international community, but Sudan’s pro-democracy activists have dismissed it as an “attempt to legitimize the coup”.
They demand that the military should not be part of any future Sudanese government and that the Sudanese people have continued to protest Against military involvement in politics since the agreement was signed.
“Thousands of people are back on the streets, pushing for their demands,” Sardar said, adding that the formation of a new cabinet and the release of political prisoners are the two main issues that are yet to be resolved.
twelve cabinet ministers Presented His resignation to Hamdok in protest of the agreement between the Prime Minister and the military.
At least 41 people have been killed in clashes with security forces since the coup, as security forces have used live rounds several times to disperse anti-coup protesters.