Roger Federer will be out for “several months” after confirming that he will have another surgery to correct the knee injury he suffered during Wimbledon. The Swiss ace returned earlier this year after two knee surgeries last year.
The 40-year-old confirmed his decision to go under the knife on Sunday, ending his 2021 season. Federer played just 13 games this year before suffering a recurring knee injury that has plagued him since 2019.
“I’m checking my knees as well as the doctors, getting all the information because I hurt myself more during the grass court season and Wimbledon.” Federer said in a video.. “It’s not the only way forward, so unfortunately they told me that in the medium to long term, I would need surgery to feel better. I decided to do it.”
“I will be on crutches for several weeks and out of the game for several months, so of course it will be difficult in some ways, but at the same time I know it’s the right thing to do because I want to be healthy. I want to run again later and I want to give myself a glimpse of the hope that I will return to the tour in some form or shape. “
Federer delayed his return earlier this year. And even to stay in the best physical condition at Wimbledon, he missed most of the clay court swing of the season. However, the recurrence of his injury led him to a straight-set defeat against Hubert Harkz of Poland in the quarter-finals.
The 20-time men’s singles grand slam champion knows that his injury will take longer to heal due to his age. Federer is hoping to return after completing his rehabilitation, but did not specify the exact timeline for the surgery.