September 21, 2021

More than 700 rescued from the Mediterranean this weekend: rescue groups.

A refugee relief group said Sunday that rescue ships had tried to transport more than 700 people across the Mediterranean by temporary boats this weekend, mainly off the coasts of Libya and Malta.

The latest figures came as UN migration officials reiterated their call for a better approach to sharing responsibility for caring for Mediterranean countries rather than leaving them.

SOS Mediterranean said its ship, the Ocean Viking, has conducted six separate operations in international waters since last week.

In the latest such intervention, it rescued 106 people from the Maltese coast after being alerted by the German aid group SeaWatch.

SOS Mediterranean tweeted, “The youngest child rescued in this operation is only 3 months old.”

From Saturday to Sunday night, the Ocean Viking joined another German group, the Sea Watch, and rescue ships to help 400 people in distress in the Mediterranean.

They were rescued from a vessel carrying water, in which a spokesman for the organization told AFP it was a particularly dangerous operation.

Survivors were divided between Ocean Viking and Sea Watch 3.

The Ocean Viking has 555 passengers on board this weekend, including at least 28 women, two of whom are pregnant. The organization has not yet determined at which safe port they will be released.

Despite the continuing insecurity in the country, Libya is an important departure point for those hoping to cross the dangerous Mediterranean for thousands of migrants. Most of them try to reach the Italian coast 300 km (190 miles) away.

European immigration crisis
IOM Photo: AFP / Jason Towlas says more than 1,100 people were killed trying to cross in the first half of the year.

Celine Schmidt, a spokeswoman for the UN refugee agency’s French operation, said last month there was an urgent need for an automated system that could distribute newcomers between countries, to ensure a better reception – and to the Mediterranean. Do not leave for countries. Accept full responsibility

“If we look at the Central Mediterranean last year, there were less than 50,000 people,” he said.

“It’s completely manageable for the European population,” Schmidt said, noting that there are 82 million people around the world who have been forced to flee their homes.

IOM spokesman Paul Dylan took a similar stance last week.

“By advocating for better migration management practices, better migration governance and greater solidarity with EU member states, we can come up with a clear, safe and humane approach to the issue that the sea I start by saving lives. “

According to the International Organization for Migration (IOM), crossing the Mediterranean between Libya and Italy or Malta is by far the deadliest place in the world.

In the first half of this year, 11,113 deaths were recorded in the Mediterranean, of which 930 were recorded there.

Nevertheless, a growing number of immigrants have tried to cross this year, according to the latest IOM figures.

Copyright AFP All rights reserved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *