Millions of people were confined to their homes in China on Monday as the country struggled to contain the spread of its largest corona virus in months, including seven positive tests in Wuhan, where the virus first appeared in 2019. It finally came to light.
China on Monday reported 55 new locally displaced cases as the rapid spread of the Delta variant reached more than 20 cities in more than a dozen provinces.
The Wuhan cluster came after the official daily number was released, but was confirmed by state media, which said the infection had been detected at the train station.
“Seven were identified as migrant workers,” Xinhua said, citing officials in the prevention and control of Cove 19.
Major cities, including Beijing, have now tested millions of residents, closed residential compounds and quarantined close contacts.
Authorities met in the capital, and the Beijing government agreed in a statement to “increase vigilance, take strict precautions and save (the city) from death.”
Elsewhere, more than 1.2 million residents in the central city of Zhuzhou in Hunan Province were placed under severe lockdown for the next three days on Monday as authorities launched a citywide screening and vaccination campaign, according to an official statement. ۔
“The situation is still serious and complicated,” Zhou said.
China was first proud of its success in bringing domestic affairs to a virtual zero after the first outbreak of the corona virus in Wuhan, which helped revive the economy.
But the latest outbreak, linked to a cluster in Nanjing where nine cleaners were positively tested at an international airport on July 20, threatens the success of more than 360 domestic cases reported in the past two weeks. ۔
In Zhangjiajie’s tourist destination, famous for its national forest park, an epidemic broke out among theater patrons last month, bringing the virus back to homes across the country.
Zhang Jiji shut down all 1.5 million residents on Friday
Officials are urgently looking for people who have recently traveled from Nanjing or Zhangjiji, and urged tourists not to travel to areas where cases have been found.
Meanwhile, Beijing has barred tourists from entering the capital during the summer holidays.
Only “essential passengers” with a negative nucleic acid test will be allowed to enter, while a handful of cases were discovered among residents returning from Zhangjiajie.
On Sunday, top city officials urged residents not to “leave Beijing unless necessary.”
The capital’s Changping District shut down 41,000 people in nine housing communities last week.
New cases were reported Monday in the flood-hit province of Hainan, along with the popular tourist destination of Hainan, national health officials said.
Copyright AFP All rights reserved.