Like anywhere else in Britain in the early 20th century, Glasgow had the highest infant mortality rate.
Glasgow Corporation’s infant milk depot scheme was part of the city’s bold effort to change that.
The corporation has a lot of power in its hands to improve the well-being of its citizens and its people given the national importance of the city. Health Both the movement of the milk depot and the wider child welfare measures have been viewed with interest throughout the UK.
In 1903, Glasgow’s Health Committee decided to establish milk depots in the poorer parts of the city, where mothers could obtain properly or sterilized milk for their babies for free or for a small fee, and Can give children food and hygiene advice.
The first Glasgow milk depot opened in June 1904 on 68 Osborne Street, just off the Salt Market. Each mother received a leaflet, written by the Medical Office of Health, emphasizing that the depot should be used only for infants whose mothers are unable to breastfeed, and for collecting and preparing milk. Explaining the process in detail. The depot was open six days a week from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., with a two-day supply on Saturdays. This milk was provided to babies up to three months of age at the cost of two pence a day. The corporation thought it was cheaper than similar schemes in England. In many instances, milk was provided free of charge, with money coming from ‘various sources’ to meet these needs.
The Glasgow Scheme is a volunteer supporter of a number of organizations due to its success, working in depots in Anderston, Gorbles and Bridgeton, assisting mothers, and visiting them in their own homes. In the spring of 1906, the first female doctor was added to the health department staff to oversee the scheme and participate in pediatric counseling sessions. The first full-time health visitor was assigned at that time. In 1907, the Caucasus Ladies Child Welfare Association, in response to the malnutrition of many pregnant mothers, opened a feeding center on the premises of the Milk Depot in Maitland St., where two course dinners for 3D were provided. Money for a small child
The new service became popular and was gradually expanded. By 1914, seven consulting services had been expanded to 14 and there were four medical officers. The number of trained Nurse Health Visitors in the Maternal and Child Welfare Departments was increased to 20 during World War I.
The city felt that the distribution of milk alone could not provide a satisfactory solution to the high infant mortality rate. Nevertheless, the depot scheme continued to receive significant support as part of a growing portfolio of child welfare initiatives.