POLLOKSHAWS has seen massive changes over the years.
his History, First as an independent Berg and then adjacent to Glasgow since 1912, its Berg records can be found in the Glasgow City Archives.
Prior to the Industrial Revolution, Pollaksh was a small rural village, but its location along the White Cartwater and Old House Burn, as well as the area’s coal resources, made it an ideal place for cotton production.
Various historical gazetteers describe the area as dominated by spinning, weaving, bleaching and printing. As these industries flourished, more workers moved to the area so that by 1831 the population had grown to over 4,500.
Sir John Maxwell, a local landowner of Pollock, was heavily involved in the founding of the Berg of Pollockshaw, appealing to the government in 1785. Berg was finally granted status in October 1812, and was Sir John Berg’s first provost. Sir John and the new councilors met for the first time on April 23, 1813.
Over the years, meeting minutes deal with everything from road planning. Health, Tramway and drainage. They were not without some enthusiasm. In 1826, Thomas Baird and others staged a “massive protest to intimidate the present Provost and Councilors.” Mr Baird was worried he had lost the vote to become the first Provost.
In 1854, Sir John presented a gift to the Polakshaw Industrial School on Bengal Street. The school was rebuilt in 1907 and renamed Sir John Maxwell School in 1909. It’s hard to believe that the classical design of architect John Hamilton’s school disappointed some critics at the time who felt he should have followed Scott Baroniel. Style From nearby Berg Hall. The new school building has a capacity of about 500 students. The City Archives has its own records, including the first textbook of the Industrial School from 1864 and enrollment from 1872. The building is vacant despite being closed in 2011.
Sir John Sterling Maxwell (descendant of the former Provost) provided the Berg Hall, which opened in 1898 and is still in use today. The design is said to be based on the old Glasgow College buildings and cost 20 20,000 to erect.
In 1958, Polokasha controversially became Glasgow’s second comprehensive development district. In an effort to deal with poor housing conditions, many buildings collapsed. The pictures show the roads that are almost unidentifiable today. The story of Pollock Shaw lives on in a few buildings, such as the Round Tall House, Pollock Show Road, and the Dutch-style Clock Tower, 1803 from the townhouse where Berg Councilors met, and of course the archive.