According to residents, the four families were forced to live in a hallway in their tower block, which is full of dead birds, dirt and rot.
The parents and their two young children had to vacate their flat at Robertshaw House in Sheffield when a “waterfall” leaked into their home.
The council arranged for them to stay in a hotel – but the four were turned away after allegedly failing to pay fees. Yorkshire Live..
Neighbors said the frustrated family was forced to camp in the corridor until the council relocated them to temporary accommodation.
Tower block tenants say they face horrific conditions in the flats, including the stench of insects, rot, leakage and dirt.
Residents claim the council block is plagued by social behavior and fly-tipping and is now “tired of apologizing”.
Peter McLaughlin, 77, said: “I’m afraid of what I’m seeing. I’m more afraid of what the future holds.”
Former Sheffield Council cabinet members for housing became Tower Block Council tenants 30 years ago and it was suggested that conditions were only getting worse.
He claims that he and his companion can see horribly dead birds trapped between climbing from their 14th floor flat.
And Peter says he has seen locals throw rubbish inside and outside the building – some have carelessly thrown it out of their windows.
The 77-year-old says rough sleepers often take refuge on the stairs, while moss and algae have crawled on the walls.
“You wouldn’t put a dog in that situation,” he said angrily. “There is no excuse for what happened here.”
But the council claims to have solved some of the problems in the bloc, saying in a statement that the leaks and other issues were historic.
Locals have now lost faith in the authority as other tenants in the area are living in similarly dire conditions.
“At the end of the day, there’s money to be made,” Peter said.
If there is mold, who will take responsibility for it?
Tower Block Trouble.
They claim that the troubled tower block is facing problems even before the epidemic enters the country.
They discussed how dozens of vulnerable residents were effectively evacuated between Christmas Eve and New Year 2019, when one elevator was being renovated and the other broke down.
Jane Hodgkin, who is in her late 80s, said she was trapped in her 12th-floor flat for a week and had to climb 24 steps to deliver food and other necessities to her daughter.
The councilors said engineers arrived half an hour after being notified but failed to fix it for a week because they could not find the right parts.
The service apologized and said action would be taken to prevent it from happening again – but last month the elevator allegedly broke, leaving one person trapped for 45 minutes.
Councilor Sophie Thornton raised the issue of backlog repairs during a full council meeting this month.
A written response to a question said: “We as landlords have an excellent track record and we have rarely violated the Homes Act 2018.”
Janet Sharp, director of Housing and Neighborhood Services, said: “Some of the block issues, such as leaks and related issues, are historic and have been resolved.”