September 28, 2021

Burkina Faso mourns again after the jihadist massacre

Burkina Faso’s poor state of Sohail was plunged into mourning again on Thursday, as the death toll from suspected jihadists rose a day earlier from 49 to 80, including 65 civilians.

An AFP reporter observed that the national flag was lowered in half for three days of mourning in parliament, the presidency and government offices in the capital, Ouagadougou, while heavy casualties raised new suspicions about the country’s armed forces. Gave birth to

Many television and radio channels changed their programming, broadcasting songs mostly paying tribute to the defense and security forces.

Newspapers and online media carried a black mark of mourning on their front pages, although some raised significant questions about the country’s security crisis.

Burkina Faso
According to UN figures, more than 2 million people in Sohail have been displaced by jihadist violence.

“In the last five years, the days have come and gone, but the Burkina Faso people look the same,” said Wakatisra, an online outlet.

“Flags are raised and then immediately dropped at half-mast to mourn new victims, civilians and / or soldiers in attacks by gunmen who are usually never identified,” he said. Is.”

“This time, the mourning will continue for 72 hours. What about tomorrow?”

Burkina Faso
Map of Burkina Faso looking for Gorgadji Photo: AFP / Staff

For the past six years, the landlocked country has been plagued by jihadist attacks in neighboring Mali, the epicenter of a brutal insurgency that began in 2012 and has also affected Niger.

Thousands of soldiers and civilians have been killed in the three countries, while more than 2 million people have fled their homes, according to UN figures.

In Burkina Faso alone, the death toll is over 1,500 and 1.3 million are homeless.

Communications Minister and government spokesman Osini Tambora said Thursday that 65 civilians and 15 genders had been killed in Wednesday’s attack.

Burkina Faso
Burkina Faso’s troops suffer from poor training and inadequate equipment to deal with mobile warfare, experts say Photo: AFP / Assof Sango

The location is in the so-called three-border area, where the borders of the three countries meet – and where gunmen linked to al-Qaeda and the so-called Islamic State roam.

Security forces killed 58 “terrorists” and the rest fled, according to the government, which on Thursday “congratulated the defense and security forces” for the operation.

It was the third major attack on Burkina Faso in the past two weeks, highlighting the country’s poorly equipped and untrained armed forces against a highly mobile enemy.

Since the beginning of August, more than 90 people have been killed in attacks in the north and northeast of the country.

On the night of June 4, gunmen killed at least 132 people, including children, in the northeastern village of Solhan. It was the deadliest attack in Burkina Faso’s history.

“With each new attack, we say we’ve come down, but then another one comes along, which reminds us that something is always wrong,” said Basiro Sedogo, a 47-year-old businessman.

“We mourn, but we also think about how many casualties can be caused by ambushing a military convoy.

“If they can kill so many civilians who are under escort, it means no one in the area is safe from these killings.”

Authorities say police and volunteers in the Gorgadji attack were providing security for civilian victims of earlier attacks who were returning to their homes elsewhere in the area.

In Niger’s “Three Frontier” region, more than 450 people have been killed since the beginning of the year.

On Monday, gunmen on motorcycles killed 37 civilians in the village of Darya De while they were working in the fields. The dead included four women and 13 children.

Copyright AFP All rights reserved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *