September 18, 2021

Brazil-Argentina match suspended due to controversy

Issued:

Brazil’s World Cup qualifying clash against Argentina came to a screeching halt shortly after it began on Sunday as controversy erupted over the Cove 19 protocol.

Amid incredible scenes at Sao Paulo’s New Quimica Arena, a match between two South American football giants was stopped when a group Brazilian Public health officials came to the scene, causing a commotion among the team’s staff and players.

ArgentinaAs soon as the commotion broke out, the players went to the locker room.

Argentina captain Lionel Messi later emerged from the tunnel without his team’s shirt as confusion spread around the stadium.

The surprise intervention came hours after Brazilian health officials said four players in the England squad based in England should be placed in “immediate quarantine” for violations. Covid-19 Protocol

According to Brazil’s National Health Surveillance Agency (ANVISA), Premier League players Giovanni Lu Celso (Tottenham), Emiliano Martنیnez (Austin Villa), Emiliano Boundia (Austin Villa) and Cristian Romero (Tottenham) have been “misinformed” about entering Brazil. “Provide. .

Romero, Lu Celso and Martزnez were all in the starting lineup in Argentina to start Sunday’s game – which triggered an intervention in the field by officials wearing Invisa shirts.

Four Premier League players have been accused of failing to disclose that they spent time in the UK 14 days before their arrival.

‘Series of violations’

Antonio Bara Torres, director of Invisa, said on Brazilian television: “We arrived at this point because everything that Invisa instructed from the first moment was not fulfilled.”

“(Four players) were instructed to remain isolated awaiting deportation, but they did not comply. They went to the stadium and entered the field in violation,” the official added.

A government order issued on June 23 barred any foreigner from the UK, India or South Africa from entering Brazil to prevent the spread of the corona virus.

“Anvisa understands that this situation represents a serious health risk and recommends that local health authorities (Sao Paulo) order the immediate quarantine of athletes who are allowed to participate in any activity and It is forbidden to live in the territory of Brazil. ” Said in a statement early Sunday.

Invesa said Brazil’s federal police had been notified so that “necessary action could be taken immediately”.

The game was apparently abandoned, the Brazilian squad started a practice game on the field and the Argentine team reportedly left the stadium.

The governing body of South American football, CONMEBOL, said in a statement that the game had been “suspended” but did not say whether the match would resume or resume.

“The match referee’s decision to suspend FIFA-sponsored matches between Brazil and Argentina for World Cup qualifiers has been suspended,” Campbell said in a statement.

“The referee and match commissioner will submit a report to the FIFA Disciplinary Committee, which will determine the steps to be taken. These procedures are in strict compliance with existing laws.”

CONMEBOL added that since the qualifiers were part of the FIFA competition, it would be up to the global governing body of football to determine the next course of action.

“The World Cup qualifier is a FIFA competition,” said Conmbol. “All decisions regarding its organization and development are a special strength of this organization.

The controversy erupted when nine Brazilians in the Premier League failed to travel to South America following objections from their clubs.

(AFP)

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *